6 Benefits of Custom Injection Molding
Injection molding is a versatile process with a variety of applications. The process is frequently used when the customer needs high-quality, high strength products or parts in large volumes. Because the advantages of injection molding are numerous, there are many reasons to utilize injection molding services.
Before looking at the benefits of injection molding, let’s examine some of the industries where injection molding is most used. Injection molding applications aren’t limited to this list — the process is so versatile it is found nearly everywhere.
Industries that use injection molding include:
- Military and defense
- Electronics and electrical components
With this list in mind, let’s look at the advantages of injection molding and why it’s such a widely used process.
6 Advantages of Injection Molding
Injection molding features such as high-speed production, design and material versatility, easy availability, and customization options explain many of the process’s benefits. Below, we’ll look at them more specifically.
- Efficient production — Injection molding is a streamlined process. Liquid plastic is injected into a mold under high pressure, fills the mold cavities, then the parts are cooled and ejected. This efficiency means that cycles can occur at a rapid pace — as fast as every ten seconds. Thus, high volume orders involving millions of parts can be fulfilled quickly and easily. The process also is suitable for lower production runs.
- Wide material selection — A vast range of material options are available for injection molding including engineered and commodity grade resins, representing an array of physical characteristics. In addition, custom materials can be created by combining other materials, including filler materials, and methods.
- Design complexity — The nature of the injection molding means that highly detailed designs can be effectively produced using the process. This is because the material is fed into mold cavities under high pressure and comes into better contact with the walls of the mold, ensuring that even the finest details are captured in the end product.
For detailed information on part design for injection molding.
- Design versatility — Injection molding is just as suitable for simple parts as it is for complicated ones. In addition, mold designs can be customized using inserts, overmolds, and other practices. This enables a single mold to be suitable for numerous parts or products.
- Aesthetic options — The final appearance of the plastics used in injection molding can be easily adjusted by adding color powders to the material. In addition, detailed surface finishes can be facilitated by including them in the mold design.
- High strength — By nature, the plastics used in injection molding generally provide high strength and resistance to cracking or breakage. An additional advantage of injection molding is that features like ribs and gussets can be easily integrated into a part, increasing strength while reducing the amount of material used and the weight of the finished product.
Injection Molding With Crescent Industries
At Crescent Industries, we offer the benefits of injection molding along with our expertise in scientific molding and design, helping to improve manufacturability and efficiency for your project. We have extensive experience in custom molding, which enables us to meet nearly any requirement. Contact us today to learn more. We look forward to discussing how we can help you accomplish your project goals.